Planning / Development

Tanner’s Crossing Planning District

Tanner’s Crossing Planning District (TCPD) is made up of the Town of Minnedosa, The Rural Municipality of Minto, The Rural Municipality of Odanah and the Town of Rapid City. TCPD is governed by a six member Board of Directors, consisting of three representatives from the Town of Minnedosa, and one member from each of the R.M. of Minto, the R.M. of Odanah and the Town of Rapid City. The Planning District, as it is commonly called, currently has one employee, who acts as a development officer and a building inspector. The Planning District Board adopts policy, which is implemented by its staff.

The Planning District regulates all building in the town and municipalities and is responsible for building inspections, permits (building, plumbing), planning (conditional uses, rezoning), and zoning memorandums. Subdivisions forms are also available through that office.

The building inspector/development officer is Brian Skatch. His office is located on the 2nd Floor of the Civic Centre, 103 Main Street S. (side door on South side). 
Hours: Monday to Friday, between 8:30 - 12:00 and 1:00 - 4:30.

Or contact:

Tanner's Crossing Planning District
Box 1072

Minnedosa, MB R0J 1E0
Phone: (204) 867-2364

Cell: (204) 867-7980

Fax: (204) 867-5543

Town of Minnedosa By-Law No. 2475, Building By-Law

Download Building Permit Application (click here)

Building Permits

A building permit is required in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public.  

A permit is required for new construction, additions, alterations, renovations, relocations, demolitions and repairs.

Examples include:

  • Finishing previously unfinished spaces (rec. rooms, attics)
  • Installations of wood stoves
  • Installation of pools or hot tubs
  • Decks
  • Temporary Buildings (canvas sheds)
  • Storage sheds
  • Garages, carports
  • Farm Buildings

Some projects that normally do not require permits (unless they cost more than $5,000.00) include:

  • Stucco, siding, shingles
  • Windows, doors (when opening not altered)
  • Fences
  • Painting & decorating
  • Cabinets
  • Alterations less than five thousand dollars
Type of Permit Required Associated Fee(s)
Residential New Dwellings & Additions:  
   Main Floor $60.00 base fee & $0.25/sq. ft.
   Each Additional Floor $0.25/sq. ft.
   Basement $60.00 base fee & $0.25/sq. ft.
   Grade Beam, Piles & Crawl Space   $60.00 base fee & $0.25/sq. ft.
   Garages/Carports Single $60.00  Double $120.00
   Accessory Buildings $60.00
      (over 900 sq. ft.) $60.00 base fee & $0.20/sq. ft.
   Renovations $60.00 base fee & Estimated Value
   Decks $60.00
   Covered Decks (same as new additions)
All Other Classes of Buildings Under Part 9 MBC  
New Commericial (non-residential) $60.00 base fee & 1% for 1st $500,000 0.5% for rest
Renovations (non-residential) $60.00 base fee & Estimated Value
Zoning Memorandum $75.00
Zoning By-law Amendment $750.00 plus advertising
Development Plan Amendment $900.00 plus advertising
Conditional Use Order $300.00   $400.00 if combined
Variation Order $300.00
Development Permit (required for buildings/ structures over 100 sq ft.) other than Part 9 $60.00
Wind Generation Towers $100.00
Demolition/Removal Permit $35.00
Temporary Building Placement/Month $15.00
Move-in Permit (RTM"s, Mobile Homes & Other) $200.00
Relocation Permit (buildings under 1000 sq. ft.) Excluding RTM"s and Movile/Modular Homes $60.00
Inspection Fees $85.00 plus $25.00/hour & mileage as per resolution
ILO Conditional Use Order $1,500.00
Plumbing Permit Fees  
Base Fee $25.00
Each rough-in and installed fixture $15.00
Each installation of a floor drain $15.00

Fire and Safety inspection $100 - view resolution

All farm buildings, except residences and garages, do not require a building permit but must have a development permit.

RTM Homes and Buildings

New RTM's from outside the planning district shall be inspected by the authority having jurisdiction of that area and a copy of the building inspection report and permit application shall be provided. Where there is no such authority the inspection shall be carried out by the TCPD Development Officer. The inspection fees plus a $25.00/hr rate and mileage as per resolution shall be at the expense of the applicant. Applicant requires a move in permit and an occupancy permit.

Used buildings from outside the Planning District are subject to a move-in permit and with Council's permission.

Permit application and fees will be required for work done on the permanent site.

Failure To Obtain Permit

Where a permit is required and where a permit has not been obtained prior to the commencement of the actual work, the fees shall be double the normal rate upon first notice of failure. Where continuing to obtain a permit results in prosection a restitution fee of up to a $1,000.00 shall be imposed.

Permit Refund

Whenever a permit is surrendered for cancellation within six months of obtaining the permit, a refund of the fees paid shall be made after deducting $60.00 plus any inspection fees.

Permit Steps

  • Call Brian Skatch, Building Inspector, to find out what zoning regulations are in place for your area (204) 867-2364 in Minnedosa.
  • Sketch out your site plan as to where the building is going to be placed on your property.
  • Bring your site plan and engineered drawings of the actual building to be constructed to the 2nd Floor - Town of Minnedosa Civic Centre Monday to Friday, and apply for a permit.
  • If all requirements are met, a permit will be issued and payment is required.
  • Inform Brian as to when construction is to start (prior to the pouring of concrete).
  • Inspections are made when asked for by the builder at stages pre-determined by the inspector.

(Approaches & Driveways are still under municipal jurisdiction, contact your councillor).

Thinking About Building a Fence or Retaining Wall?

The Town of Minnedosa Zoning By-law No. 2452 contains the following provisions regarding the height of fences, walls and hedges in residentially zoned areas:

a) The maximum height shall not exceed 3 feet in any front yard. (The front yard is the front 25 feet of the lot, measured from the front property boundary.)

b) The maximum height shall not exceed 6 feet in any side yard or rear yard.

Building permits are generally not required for fences or walls. Retaining walls where the height of the wall exceeds 4 feet at any point require a permit prior to construction.

If you have any questions about fences or any other construction project in Minnedosa, kindly contact the office of the Tanner's Crossing Planning District, 49 Main Street South (Phone (204) 867-2364)

What are the Swimming Pool & Hot Tub Regulations?

As per Manitoba Building Code Specifications:

Private Pool means an artificially constructed basin, lined with concrete, fiberglass, vinyl or like material, that is capable of containing water depth greater than 60 cm. (24 inches) and that is located on the property of a single-family residence.

A professional engineer must certify all in ground pools.

  • A fence or other barrier that is structured in the following manner must enclose all outdoor swimming pools:
  • It has a minimum vertical height of 1.5m (5 feet) and a maximum vertical height of 1.8m (6 feet).
  • Access cannot be gained through it or under it.
  • Access through the fence is restricted by means of a self-closing gate which is 1.5m (5 feet) in height.  The gate must be designed as to cause the gate to become secured with a lockable latch to prevent unauthorized entry.  The latch shall be installed in a fashion that it cannot be easily reached or activated from the outside of the gate(s).
  • Where chain link is used, the mesh size does not exceed 50 millimeters (two inches) and the wire is at least number 11 gauge; and
  • Where other than chain link is used, the outside surface of the fence or gate is relatively smooth so as not to provide foot or toe holds,
  • No person shall operate an outdoor swimming pool unless the fence and gate are maintained in good repair.

Where can I locate my pool?

As long as your swimming pool is properly fenced it many be located in your side or rear yeard.  It must be no closer that 0.6m (2 feet) from your read property line and 0.3m (1 foot) from your side property line.  As well, the pool must be at least 1.2 m from your home.

Where can I locate the mechanical equipment for my pool?

The only restrictions on the location of the mechanical equipment, is that it may not be located in your front yard, and it may not be located any closer than 4.6m (15 feet) to an operable window of a neighboring residence.  Having a fence between the mechanical equipment and the window does not reduce or remove this requirement.